No matter what country you are from, chances are that Yamaha is the most popular brand that you will see on the track. There is a good reason for that. Yamaha has been a leader in the ATV industry for decades and it makes some of the best sport quads on the market.
The top 6 best Yamaha Sport quads are:
- Yamaha Raptor 700R
- Yamaha Banshee
- Yamaha YFZ450
- Yamaha Raptor 250
- Yamaha Kodiak
- Yamaha Blaster
Yamaha makes some of the world’s best four-wheelers, and there is no doubt about that. If you want to get a sports quad, you can’t go wrong by picking one of the following models: Yamaha Raptor 700R, Yamaha Banshee, Yamaha YFZ450, Yamaha Raptor 250, Yamaha Kodiak, and Yamaha Blaster.
Whether you want to buy a new sport quad or are just curious to see how fast Yamaha’s best four-wheelers can go, you have arrived at the right place. Let’s check out the top speeds and specs that these quads offer.
Table of Contents
The Maximum Speed for Yamaha’s Fastest Quads
|Yamaha Raptor 700R||Yamaha Banshee||Yamaha YFZ450||Yamaha Raptor 250||Yamaha Kodiak||
75 – 85 MPH
55 – 60 MPH
While a speed of 55 MPH might not seem that fast when compared to a regular car, I assure you that it’s fast enough when you consider that you will be riding Yamaha’s sport quads offroad. In fact, you are guaranteed to get an adrenaline rush if you pull on the gas throttle and reach 55 MPH while riding on mountain trails or other types of rugged terrains. If speed is what you are looking for, then you might want to check my top 5 fastest ATVs in 2022 article. This should come as no surprise, but a Yamaha four-wheeler is at the top of the list!
Top 6 Yamaha Sport Quads
Now that we went over the top speeds of Yamaha’s fastest ATVs, the next step is to take a look at their specs and exclusive features. With that said, let’s kick things off with the iconic Yamaha Raptor 700R.
#1 Yamaha Raptor 700R
Back in 2021, I wrote a post where I presented the best ATV for mountain terrain. Yamaha Raptor 700R was the first ATV featured on my list and this is thanks to the fact that the four-wheeler can reach a top speed of 75 to 85 MPH on even the most challenging terrains. This makes the Raptor 700R a fantastic choice for ATV enthusiasts who love an adrenaline rush. The “secret” behind the ATV’s power is that Yamaha equipped it with an impressive 686cc engine that delivers 45 horsepower. You will feel the torque right from the moment you first pull on the gas throttle.
What’s really great about this ATV is its lightweight aluminum frame. Thanks to this premium build, the Raptor 700R is nimble and quick. If you take it on paved roads, you are guaranteed to have a blast. The four-wheeler will move as fast as a motorcycle. While it might not reach the same speeds as a motorcycle, its stability makes up for that.
- Distinctive Styling: The Yamaha Raptor 700R’s design is timeless, immediately recognized by ATV aficionados worldwide. Its aesthetics appeal to those seeking a blend of aggressive and sporty appearance.
- YZ-Style Seat: A testament to comfort and functional design, this seat not only assures a comfortable ride but also offers riders substantial flexibility to move, making it easier to adjust to varying terrains and riding styles.
- Fully-Adjustable Shocks: Equipped with shocks that can be adjusted to a rider’s preference, the Yamaha Raptor 700R ensures a smooth ride across different terrains. These shocks play a pivotal role in absorbing impacts and offering consistent ride quality.
- 686cc 4-Stroke Engine: Powering this beast is a robust 686cc engine that churns out a formidable 40 horsepower. This engine is renowned for its reliability and consistent power delivery.
- Lightweight Framework: Weighing in at a mere 422 lbs, the Raptor 700R offers agility and ease of handling, making it a top choice for riders who prioritize maneuverability along with power.
- Optimized Power-to-Weight Ratio: The combination of its powerful engine and lightweight construction gives the Yamaha Raptor 700R an impressive power-to-weight ratio, ensuring that riders experience exhilarating acceleration and unmatched performance on trails.
#2 Yamaha Banshee
If you love ATVs that don’t only use a sport engine but also have a sports design, then you can’t go wrong with the Yamaha Banshee. Yamaha first introduced the Banshee model back in 1987, and it had such a massive success that the company didn’t make any changes to the model until 2006! It seems like Yamaha followed the “If it’s not broken, then don’t change it” model that Apple uses for its iPhone series. Nonetheless, the Yamaha Banshee reaches an impressive maximum speed of 75 MPH which makes it one of the fastest ATVs on the market.
The four-wheeler ships with a 350-twin turbo engine that provides 34 horsepower and a maximum torque of 54 Nm. Since the ATV weighs only 385.5 lbs (175 kg), the 34 horsepower will feel like you are driving a sports car. Despite being a smaller-size ATV, the Yamaha Banshee has a maximum load capacity of 220 lbs (100kg). Therefore, the ATV has enough room to carry all the necessary equipment for fun outdoor adventures.
- Twin-Cylinder Two-Stroke Engine: One of the Banshee’s most amazing features is its 350cc liquid-cooled twin-cylinder two-stroke engine. This motor is known for its raw power, aggressive sound, and ability to be highly modifiable for even more performance.
- Unique Styling: The Yamaha Banshee boasts a distinct and unmistakable design. Its aggressive lines and race-inspired aesthetics have made it an iconic figure in the ATV community.
- Lightweight Frame: The Banshee’s chassis is designed for nimbleness and agility. Its lightweight nature makes it a preferred choice for riders seeking fast accelerations and tight cornering.
- 6-Speed Transmission: The Banshee comes with a manual 6-speed transmission, offering riders greater control over the powerband and ensuring optimal performance in various terrains.
- Dual Front Disc Brakes: For enhanced stopping power, the Banshee is equipped with dual hydraulic disc brakes at the front, allowing for reliable and consistent braking performance.
- Race-Ready Suspension: The ATV features a sporty suspension setup that’s designed for track and dune riding. This offers riders a responsive and controlled ride, especially when pushing the Banshee to its limits.
#3 Yamaha YFZ450
Yamaha YFZ450 is a popular four-wheeler that made its name on the market by being quick and nimble. The Yamaha sport quad reaches a top speed of 75 MPH, and this is all thanks to its powerful 449cc liquid-cooled fan engine. This is a 4-stroke engine, and therefore, it’s going to give riders more than enough power needed to drive on steep hills and difficult terrains. Everyone who owns or has driven a Yamaha YFZ450 at least once will tell you that the ATV has excellent handling. The steering is impeccable, and since the ATV comes equipped with a lightweight steel frame, you can easily maneuver it in tight corners.
Even though the Yamaha YFZ450 is not designed for beginners, it’s one of Yamaha’s bestselling ATVs. The reason behind this is the stylish design of the four-wheeler. You can be sure that you will stand out on the track if you choose to go with the Yamaha YFZ450. Moreover, it’s important to mention that the ATV comes equipped with a premium suspension system that makes riding on even the bumpiest of roads a pleasure. It also helps that the Yamaha YFZ450 has a ground clearance of 4.5-inch and therefore, it doesn’t hit any rocks.
- High-Performance Engine: At the heart of the YFZ450 is a 449cc liquid-cooled DOHC four-stroke engine. This engine is designed to provide powerful, high-revving performance, making it a favorite for motocross and competitive trail riding.
- Advanced Frame: The YFZ450’s frame is both lightweight and rigid, giving it exceptional handling characteristics. Its aluminum frame design ensures that the quad remains agile and responsive during rides.
- Five-Speed Manual Transmission: The five-speed manual transmission with a wet multi-plate clutch allows riders to stay in the right gear, optimizing power and torque across different terrains.
- Fully Adjustable Suspension: The ATV features independent double-wishbone front suspension and a rear swingarm setup. Both are fully adjustable, giving riders the flexibility to fine-tune their ride based on the trail conditions.
- Dual Hydraulic Front Disc Brakes: The YFZ450 is equipped with dual hydraulic disc brakes in the front and a single disc at the rear. This ensures consistent and reliable stopping power in various conditions.
- Compact Body Design: The compact body and ergonomically designed seat allow riders to move freely and maintain a more aggressive stance, especially during competitive riding.
- Fuel Injection System: Some newer models of the YFZ450 come equipped with a fuel injection system, ensuring smoother throttle response and more consistent performance across different elevations and temperatures.
#4 Yamaha Kodiak
If there is one thing that everyone can agree about Yamaha, it has to be the fact that the company knows how to create a great design. The Yamaha Kodiak (featured in the picture above) is the perfect example of that. This is a premium four-wheeler that uses a liquid-cooled 421cc engine to deliver a top speed of 55 to 65 MPH. Obviously, this maximum speed was recorded on paved streets where no obstacles can slow you down. However, you can trust that Yamaha Kodiak will have the “kick” needed to make you fall in love with ATV riding.
Another reason why the Yamaha Kodiak is considered one of the best Yamaha sport quads is its independent double wishbone rear and front suspension system that makes it easy to control. I want to highlight that this four-wheeler made the list of my best ATV for women article. What made the four-wheelers stand out from the others is the fact that it has a wheelbase of 48.8 inches so that you can ride over anything without problems. To make things even better, the ATV has a switchable drive system between 2WD and 4WD.
- Powerful Engine: The Yamaha Kodiak features a dependable, fuel-injected engine with varying displacements based on the model (e.g., Kodiak 450 or Kodiak 700). These engines are tuned for broad, torque-rich power, suitable for a range of tasks, from recreational riding to utility work.
- Ultramatic Transmission: Yamaha’s Ultramatic transmission is known for its durability and all-day comfort. It provides the most advanced and durable CVT drive system available. Natural, all-wheel engine braking is a key feature for confident descents.
- On-Command 4WD: The Kodiak features the On-Command system, which allows riders to easily switch between 2WD, 4WD, and differential-lock 4WD to optimize traction in various conditions.
- Compact and Comfortable Chassis: The Kodiak boasts a compact-size chassis that enhances comfort and rideability with a roomy riding position. This helps reduce fatigue on long rides or during extensive chores.
- Independent Double-Wishbone Suspension: The adjustable suspension on the Kodiak ensures a smooth ride and superior handling, especially over rugged terrains.
- Integrated Storage: Practicality is a forte of the Kodiak, with built-in storage compartments to stow away essential items during rides or tasks.
- Digital Instrumentation: The Kodiak’s advanced digital instrument panel provides riders with essential information, including speed, odometer, trip meters, clock, fuel status, and more.
- Robust Work Capabilities: With impressive towing capacity and a convenient front-mounted winch, the Kodiak can handle a variety of tasks, making it not only a recreational vehicle but also a reliable work partner.
#5 Yamaha Raptor 250
The Yamaha Raptor 250 is the smallest sport quad on this list, and despite that, it can still reach a top speed of 60 MPH. In fact, the Yamaha Raptor 250 features the fastest 250cc engine available on the market. This shows us, once again, why Yamaha is a market leader. Talking about the engine, I should highlight that it is air-cooled and four-stroke. Therefore, you will have a smooth ride on whatever type of terrain you choose to explore.
Since the Yamaha Raptor 250 is smaller, this makes it possible to ride the ATV on the most challenging of terrains where others couldn’t even get in. For example, you will be able to drive through forests and navigate between trees without a problem. On the downside of things, there is a big downside that needs to be highlighted. The Yamaha Raptor 250 uses a manual clutch. Therefore, beginners will have a difficult time getting adjusted to it and switching gears.
- Lightweight Performance: The Raptor 250 is one of the lightest full-size sport ATVs available, making it highly agile and responsive.
- Potent Engine: Powered by a 249cc air-cooled four-stroke engine, the Raptor 250 delivers impressive torque and a broad powerband, ideal for various terrains and riding styles.
- Hydraulic Disc Brakes: For dependable stopping power, the Raptor 250 features dual hydraulic front disc brakes and a rear hydraulic disc brake.
- Sport-Tuned Suspension: With a double-wishbone front suspension and linkage-based rear setup, the Raptor 250 ensures a smooth and controlled ride even on rough terrains.
- Five-Speed Manual Transmission: The Raptor 250 offers a manual five-speed transmission that provides the rider with full control over the power delivery. It also features a clutch that’s optimized for durability and performance.
- Low Seat Height: The Raptor 250 boasts a low and comfortable seat height, making it accessible for a wider range of riders while also allowing for more aggressive body movements during spirited riding.
- Stylish Design: Borrowing design cues from its bigger siblings, the Raptor 250 offers a sleek, aggressive stance, with sporty bodywork and graphics.
- Durable Construction: With a steel frame and robust build quality, the Raptor 250 is designed to handle the rigors of off-road riding and last for years to come.
#6 Yamaha Blaster
Yamaha Blaster is, hands down, one of the most popular sport quads in the world. The four-wheeler sports a cool looking design, and what makes it stand out from all other sport quads on the market is that it’s built for fun and play. The Blaster weighs in at only 306 lbs, and it can reach a top speed of 55 MPH. Now, this is guaranteed to give you an adrenaline rush! The really cool thing about the ATV is that it runs on a 200cc engine. Since it can reach 55 MPH, this shows us just how good Yamaha’s engineers are at optimizing engines.
Since the Yamaha Blaster is such a popular sports quad, getting parts for it is quite easy. You can find parts for this model at any ATV shop, and in the rare chance your local shop doesn’t have what you need in original, you can choose an aftermarket version. If you want a more in-depth breakdown of this sports quad, you can click here to read my review of Yamaha Blaster in 2021.
- Compact and Lightweight Design: The Yamaha Blaster is known for its nimble and compact design, making it a favorite for tight trails and technical riding.
- Powerful Engine: At its heart lies a 195cc air-cooled, two-stroke engine that delivers a punchy and responsive power output, ideal for quick acceleration.
- Six-Speed Transmission: Equipped with a six-speed manual transmission, the Blaster provides riders with a wide range of gearing options for various terrains and riding styles.
- Hydraulic Disc Brakes: For reliable stopping power, the Blaster features hydraulic disc brakes both at the front and rear.
- Sporty Suspension: With a double-wishbone front suspension and a swingarm rear setup, the Blaster ensures a sporty ride with optimal handling capabilities.
- High Ground Clearance: The Blaster boasts a significant ground clearance, allowing riders to tackle rough trails without the fear of bottoming out.
- Durable Build: Its robust construction, complemented by a steel frame, ensures that the Blaster can withstand the challenges of aggressive off-road riding.
- Iconic Styling: The Blaster’s distinct design, combined with its sporty stance and graphics, sets it apart as an iconic member of Yamaha’s sport ATV lineup.
I think we can all agree that Yamaha makes some of the best sports quads. Whether you are interested in a four-wheeler that you can use for long trips in the wild outdoors or a nimble quad that you can take out on the track, Yamaha has something for you. The models I presented today are all classified as sport quads, and the speed chart (featured in the intro) can help you determine which is fastest.